Quick and timely considerations for your mineral program.
- If using a mineral form of fly control, consistent intake is key. Consider using Wind and Rain Storm Fly Control Mineral with Altosid (IGR) in either granular or tub form.
- To help achieve consistent mineral intake, use enough mineral feeders for your herd size. A good rule is to use one feeder for every 20 to 30 head.
- Make sure all cattle, including calves and timid cows, have equal access to feeders. Placing feeders in multiple locations helps provide all cattle the opportunity to consumer the mineral
- Use water as a tool to adjust intake. If mineral intake is lower than desired, move feeders closer to water sources. If intake is higher than desired, move feeders further from the water.
- As grasses start drying, antagonists can block absorption of minerals. If antagonists are a concern, consider using a mineral with Availa 4.
- If you plan to use a mineral with chlortetracycline to control anaplasmosis, a VFD will be required.
Article Attributed to Purina Mills.
Share this page
- Saturday, April 4:
- Sunday, April 5:
- Saturday, April 11:
- Sunday, April 26:
- Saturday, May 2:
- Sunday, May 3:
- Saturday, May 9:
- Sunday, May 24: