8 Tips for Introducing Fish to Your Pond or Lake
You’ve invested in new fish for your pond or lake— introducing fish to your pond or lake should be done carefully to alleviate further stress. Make sure to treat your fish with care when handling and transporting them from the hatchery or fish truck to your pond or lake. Introducing the fish to their new habitat causes stress. Here are ways to minimize the experience.
- Introduce the fish to their new habitat as quickly as possible. Don’t delay in getting the fish to the water.
- Transport your fish in a cool and shaded area of your car.
- Once on site, let the fish rest while in their bags in a cool, shady area. The sun can quickly raise the temperatures inside the bag.
- Introduce your fish slowly to the pond, pouring a small amount of the pond or lake water into your open bag to even out the water temperature and acclimate your fish.
- Do not dump the fish from the bag into your pond or lake! Take time to acclimate them to the temperature of your pond or lake.
- After a few minutes, a few fish should swim away. If they do, release the rest in that bag.
- If the fish do not swim away, repeat the process, adding more pond/lake water to the bag to let the fish adjust to the water temperature.
- Floating the bags is discouraged as the sun can quickly raise the temperatures inside the bag. Instead, pour a small amount of pond or lake water into an open bag, allowing the fish to adjust to the water temperature.
Russell Feed & Supply host fish truck deliveries throughout the year at several of our eight North Texas locations. Check our website and Facebook for upcoming delivery dates. We also carry all of your Pond and Lake Supplies. Fish Feeds, Turtle Traps, Fish Feeders, Liquid Pond Fertilizer, Fish Traps, Aerators, Fountains, Pond and Lake Treatments. We look forward to helping you keep your pond or lake looking good year round!
Source: Stock My Pond
Share this page
- Saturday, April 4:
- Sunday, April 5:
- Saturday, April 11:
- Sunday, April 26:
- Saturday, May 2:
- Sunday, May 3:
- Saturday, May 9:
- Sunday, May 24: